Victorian House Virtual Tour!
(This is a big file with lots of pictures and slow to load -- but worth the wait!
For more information contact Michael Anderson (601) 271-0342
of Dunbar Realty (601) 583-8004 email: email@example.com
The Love-Green House
National Register of Historic Places
circa 1903 the Green Family
816 East Laurel Avenue, Hattiesburg, MS
4000 sq. ft. 5 Bedrooms, 3 1/2 bath
4 3/4 Car Garage / Shop
Award Winning Victorian Conservatory
Heart Pine Paneling, floors, wainscoting, etc.
In-ground lap pool
2 garden sheds -
Modern Kitchen and Master Bath
History -- The turn-of-the (last) century was a golden era for Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The
harvesting of vast tracts of virgin timber meant a boom for the local economy. That boom is
evidenced today by the grandness of the Victorian homes in the Hattiesburg Historic District. The Love house is a fine example. It was built in 1903 by a Mr. Green of Chicago who worked
for the Newman Lumber Company. Ironically, Mr. Green never occupied the house he built. The Newman Lumber Company transferred him and the house was subsequently sold to Henry
and Corrie Cato. The Catos lived in the house until the death of Mr. Cato in 1921. The widow
then sold the house to H.J. Love, Jr. for $5,500. From 1921 until 1988, the house remained in the Love family. In 1988, Dr. Joseph Vogel bought the house from Jasper Love and Mary Lee
Lorio, the heirs of H.J. Love, Jr. Restoration began in 1989 and continued in 1994 when Joe and Lisa Zeeben purchased the house.
Contruction -- It is estimated that the house took three years to build [and 9 years to restore!]. The house has
several distinguishing features that earmark it as late Victorian. Outstanding among them is asymmetry. This is readily seen in the architecture. Viewing the house from
the street, one is immediately struck by the differing sized gables in the attic. As the eye travels down, one notices that the columns on the verandas gradually become more
spaced as the porches wrap around the house – but only one side of the house! The Victorian design is as practical as it is aesthetically pleasing. The central hallways, high
ceilings, door transoms, and deep verandas all help to keep the house cool. To facilitate the flow of air from the outside, the house sits on 3’ pylons and an open 2” space
rises through the tongue and groove walls to the top of the hip roof some 40’ above.
Although the house now has central heat and air, the house was originally heated by coal
burning fireplaces. For fire safety, the chimneys have been sealed but the beautifully carved oak and walnut mantels remain – five in total and three with beveled mirrors. The downstairs
units have been piped for gas and two have vintage inserts.
The Living Areas -- In the early 1900s, families often lounged in the ample hallways because they were the coolest places in the
house. The grand paneled vestibule and staircase contain more space than most livings rooms in modern homes. Again, quite amazingly, none of the occupants ever painted the moldings or
woodwork! The wainscoting and sliding doors still show the rich grains of heart pine wood. In the front parlor, Mrs. Love gave many budding pianists their first
lesson beneath the stained glass window.
The large dining room reflects the role of dining in Victorian social life: both airy
and elegant. An interesting feature is the built-in china cabinet that [use to act] as a pass through to the kitchen.
The Kitchen -- The original kitchen was small in proportion to the rest of the
house and reflected the role of cooking in Victorian social life: a chore delegated to servants! The kitchen has been expanded and the old porch glassed-in with 8 ft tall
sliding doors to enjoy the garden and pool. The cabinets and woodwork are custom wild cherry from local sawmills and craftsmen. The extra tall uppers help keep the cabinets in
proportion to the almost 12 ft ceilings. The appliances are top of the line, stainless steel. The new utility room is hidden behind swinging pantry shelves and includes new 200 amp
electrical service, gas water heater and gas dryer. There’s enough space for full size freezer, and lots of shelves for more pantry storage.
The bedrooms downstairs --Many believe the very large room on the
right-hand side of the first floor was originally a living room. It was not. It has always been a bedroom. It has three doors: one that opens to the front porch, another to the
central hallway, and the third connects to the nursery, anteroom, and bathroom and the rear of the house.
The Bathrooms -- By 1903, indoor plumbing had become a “must” for any new home. As
“bathrooms” the facilities were literally designed as rooms with baths – very unlike the cramped closets of today! The three bathrooms have been
remodeled blending original features … with modern essentials . . .. The master bath is spectacular in white marble, heart pine, and cherry
. The upstairs bath has the original claw foot tub.
The bedrooms upstairs and the up-upstairs -- On the second floor are three extremely
large bedrooms, two with fireplaces. The adjoining rooms on the left-hand side have spectacular views of the Bay Street Presbyterian Church. The large bedroom to the right looks over the surrounding homes of the
district. Both bedroom suites have [some] closet space (another new fangled feature circa 1900). There’s an unfinished dormer attached to the northwest room that could be converted
to another bathroom or walk-in closet.
Although never finished, the attic contains enough space for a small house! The hip roof forms a cathedral
ceiling that is flat at the top (14 feet up!) – lending itself well for the construction of a widow’s walk. There are eight large stained glass windows facing South,
East and West.
The Garden, Pool and Out-buildings -- A gardener’s Paradise! The property comprises two
lots and approximately ½ acre in total. There’s an in-ground lap pool, award winning Victorian conservatory, two garden sheds, semi-tropical perennials, a jasmine
and citrus entwined arbor, bricked walkways, all surrounded by old trees (cedar, magnolia, willow, live oak, mulberry, and crepe myrtle). For privacy and security, the
backyard is enclosed with an 8’ tall cypress picket fence. Owls, birds, squirrels & raccoons thrive in this semi-tropical paradise!
The Garage & HUGE SHOP! A new 2 ½ car garage with an attached 2 ½ car shop and a wrap around covered
walkway create the ultimate in convenience for the car collector, woodworker, artist, boater or packrat! A second story could be added if more space is desired!
All italicized quotes written by Joseph Henry Vogel ©1992. Reprinted with permission.
Pictures and other text by Joe and Lisa Zeeben ©2000.
- Amazon.com (All books and tools featured on this site are in association with this great online
- Google.com (The best search tool I have found)